Act attack



Act Attack is an English speaking acting and improv school based in Amsterdam, Barcelona and Athens that seeks to make people more confident, creative and connected through theater-based courses. Act Attack was born from the personal experience of George, its founder, who used to be shy and not that social until he started a theater course. Nowadays, he wants to help people get the same benefits.

As a solution to promote Act Attack’s courses among his main target audience (expats 20-35 years old), George created three websites. is the eldest website, as Act Attack was founded in Amsterdam. Nowadays, Act Attack has expanded to Barcelona and Athens and George created two new local domains, .es and .gr., which need to be customized. This can also be an occasion for George to enhance the user-experience of his prospective customers. For now, I've started working on .es domain. However, slowly slowly, I will work on enhancing the experience of all domains.

I am also in charge of strengthening Act Attack brand and create a content strategy integrating the accessible, playful spirit of Act Attack with a cohesive user experience throughout all the digital channels.

My task: redesign Act Attack's digital channels to provide a more unified, trustworthy, playful and simple user experience, while improving the brand identity and loyalty, and serving Act Attack's business objectives.

Target group: modern, attention-deficient young students and

urban professionals aged between

 20-35 years old.

My role: For this project, I act as user researcher, designer and content strategist.

My approach: I am adopting a mix of Lean and Design Thinking, Lean Branding and Marketing Analytics.  



I first went through the website myself, and then I conducted  a usability test and qualitative interviews with 10 participants ( 5 Act Attack students, 5 young students and urban professionals living in Barcelona). I  also used executed a remote card sorting game as to understand how participants expect the content to appear on the website. 

Participants: 10 modern, attention-deficient students and young urban professionals based in Amsterdam and Barcelona (Android and IOS users).

Goals: To gain a deeper understanding of the participants, including their said and unsaid thoughts, emotions, motivations and needs as well as their pain points when visiting Act Attack's website.

Methods:  remote usability test, semi-structured interviews; remote card sorting; informal discussions.


2. Define

Goals: make sense of user research; analyse and identify pain points from the participants’ perspective, re-frame the challenge according to participants' needs, motivations and goals.

To help me gather the data collected into a coherent form, I designed one Empathy Map including what the participants said, did, thought and felt in relation to theater. This map was useful to make up two personas - "Eva: the busy young urban professionals" and "Peter: the digital-navy student" - and the scenarios in which these personas may lend on the website. As well, based on the usability testing,  I delineated three user journeys. Finally, I articulated 3POV statements by combining these three elements – user, needs, and insights– and made up 3HMW questions to re-frame the challenge according to the participants' needs.

Findings Based on the research result, the main pain points were related to finding the right course and signing up.

Methods: Empathy map, persona, scenario, user journey, POV statements, HMW questions.

Tools: Field diary, a board, post-its, marker, Miro, Power Point

Empathy Map (2)-page-001.jpg
Empathy Map (2)-page-001.jpg


Empathy Map (2)-page-001.jpg
Empathy Map (2)-page-001.jpg


Challenge framing

"How might we re-design the website in such a way to make it easier for students to find the right course?"

"How might we improve the sign-up process?" 


3. Ideate

During the "ideation" phase, I brainstormed with George and the communication manager. I presented them with a usability report, and all the material I gathered in the "define" phase. I used dot-voting to pick up the best design solution.


3. Prototype

Coming soon...


The Winning Idea

An app that would merge a Rijksstudio model with an Instagram-style format. Ideally, you could see your Slow Art Tour route on an interactive map with tailor-made directions so that the app guides the user to and from any location, save his/her route, including visual and written material, and allows to share it with other participants or with your friends on social media.

The interactive map leads the user through the route and ask him/her to make a picture of each pre-selected artwork as soon as he/she is in front of it. Once made the picture, the user is asked to tag it with words that express emotions or first impressions, to save it in his/her own slow art tour catalogue on the app and if he/she wants to, to share it : 1) on the main wall of the app (like you do in Instagram) with the other participants, who could then like and comment on the photos 2) with friends on other social media. After that, the user is directed to the questions posed by the art mediator and he/she can type and save the answers. Having recorded the route, including visual and written material, in the app,  the user can look at it every time he/she wants to, also in the future. If the user is going to do another Slow Art tour at Palazzo Barberini, he/she can keep track of what seen and learned during the tours throughout time.


The Takeaway

This project allowed me to make use of my creative energy, whilst learning that people you are designing for can tell and show you a lot. 
I wish ... I implemented a low fidelity prototype and tested it.